The Stack is a weekly podcast where we share and discuss the latest trends, news, and content from the world of marketing, sales, and tech. In each episode, Sean, Tim, and Ryan sit down to chat about the hard-hitting questions related to sales, marketing, and tech. You can subscribe on iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify, and Google Play Music.
In this episode, we talk about some new updates coming to Google Search Console and Wistia. We would love to hear your thoughts so make sure to comment or tweet us at @Sylvestrer1, @SeanHenri, @kelelimil, and @Tendrecroppes or @PepperlandMKTG.
This announcement comes to us from the Google Webmasters handle over on Twitter, and while it might not be the most exciting announcement it’s an important one.
To sum things up, Google Search Console has launched a new set of tools specifically designed to help businesses and websites who are planning to move their domain or subdomain. This is important, because improperly managed domain/subdomain changes can lead to a loss of search rankings and traffic.
You can read more about the tool and when to use it here.
Brendan Schwarts and Chris Savage, Founders of Wistia
Yesterday, Wistia announced a new suite of tools specifically designed to help marketers get people to care about their brands through video content.
“We’re super excited to share today that we’ve created new tools and a new strategy to help businesses succeed in the modern marketing world. We’re going all-in on Brand Affinity Marketing, and we hope you’ll join us on this journey. We’ll get into what this strategy is all about, but first, let’s cover some basics.”
Not sure what brand affinity is? In short, brand awareness measures whether or not people know who you are; brand affinity measures whether people care about your brand. Brand affinity marketing, to use Wistia’s definition, is a process wherein businesses “create and distribute binge-worthy content with a goal of positively impacting the overall sentiment, perception, and value of its brand.”
In addition to a more streamlined look and feel, here are some of the other updates that Wistia has rolled out to support brand affinity marketing:
- Wistia Channels: Free and Pro users can now use Channels, which used to only be available to higher tiers.
- Channel Subscribers: It’s now possible to add subscribe functionality to your Wistia Channel, making it easier to grow your fanbase. This feature syncs with Wistia’s email functionality so that viewers will be notified when your Channel publishes new content.
- Custom Audiences: This new feature allows you to sync your Wistia viewer data with your Facebook Ads Manager account. This will allow you to retarget viewers with ads depending on the different ways that they’ve interacted with video content on your site. You can also use this functionality to create Lookalike Audiences.
- A/B Testing: A/B testing is now available to everyone on the Free, Pro, and Advanced plans.
You can learn more about these announcements at the links below:
App of the Week: BeamUsUp
BeamUsUp is a free SEO crawler that enables marketers and webmasters to identify issues and errors negatively impacting their site: Things like missing titles, unoptimized or missing meta descriptions, duplicate content, etc. It’s a lot like Screaming Frog, which is another powerful SEO crawler, but free.
One thing I really love about the software is how easy and action oriented it is. There’s a summary report that breaks out pages by issue. This allows you to drill down into individual buckets of issues so that you can really strategically implement fixes instead of wasting time clicking around. For example, you might work through all of the duplicate content issues first, followed by unoptimized meta data, etc.
The Lightning Round: What We’re Reading This Week
In this section, we quickly run through some other updates that we didn’t have enough time to deep-dive on, but we still felt were noteworthy.
- Google Rolling “Incognito Mode” for Maps
- Google to Update Googlebot’s User Agent in December
- Redesigned Google Shopping goes live, with price tracking, Google Lens for outfits and more
- 12 Techniques to Reduce Your Facebook Ad Spend
Listen or watch for new episodes each Friday, or check out the archives to watch past episodes on-demand. Like what you hear? Leave us a review or let us know in the comments!